2093 Amateur Draft Grades

Roggie

Staff member
Pick 20: Arizona Diamondbacks

3B Joe Monroe

Monroe has a fantastic bat. His weakness is his defense. He has a big arm, and it's kept him viable at 3B in high school, but he's not mobile enough or consistent enough to play it well at the ML level. He's also only 5'9, making a move to 1B very difficult. He should be a solid future DH, but taking a DH who can't even play 1B here is a bit risky.

Grade: C-

Roggie

Staff member
Pick 21: Philadelphia Phillies

SS Rich Bailey

Bailey looks like a very solid infielder who should have no problem starting in the future. But he will probably be starting at 3B instead of SS. This does lower his value a little, but not enough to lower this pick's grade at all, as he's definitely a guy who could have gone a couple spots earlier and not shocked anyone. Do I think he was the BPA? No, right now, that's probably Josh White. I definitely think White was a better fit in their farm as well, but Bailey is still a solid 3B prospect.

Grade: B

Roggie

Staff member
Pick 22: Texas Rangers

CF Josh White

Just mentioned in the last grade, White is, IMO, the BPA on the board right now. A very good OF who could be a decent CF or possibly move to LF due to his weakish arm. He doesn't do anything outstanding, but he doesn't really have any weaknesses either. White looks like a guy who could contend for All-Star game nods in the future, which is exactly what every GM hopes for with a pick in the 20s.

Grade: A

Roggie

Staff member
Pick 23: Florida Marlins

1B Keith Alexander

Alexander is definitely the best bat left at this point from a pure hitting standpoint. The one fear to him is that he may end up being a platoon bat, even as a switch hitter, as currently he's much more advanced from the left side of the plate than the right. It's 100% possible that he evens out a bit more in the future, as switch hitting is a skill that takes time to develop, but that and his lack of size for a 1B are possible weaknesses. If he does figure out batting right handed, you have an average defensive 1B but a great bat. I think a better pick could have been made here with someone like Lee or Palmer if he wanted a bat, as both have some defensive value.

Grade: C+

Roggie

Staff member
Pick 24: Oakland Athletics

CF Keith Lee

Lee looks like a possible Gold Glove caliber center fielder in the future, and whenever he makes contact, he makes it hard. But he is a guy who is known to swing hard and miss sometimes because of it. And his longer swing gives him a bit less time to read a pitch, so he'll swing as some pitches out of the zone instead of taking and getting on base. But, it's a mid 20's pick. No player is going to be without weakness here. Lee is the best batter available for sure at this point due to his defense and power potential, so this pick is solid.

Grade: A

Roggie

Staff member
Pick 25: New York Yankees

SP Shawn Morant

Morant falls into the mold of some earlier guys: Older but not much more developed than the younger guys. But, Morant did flash a new pitch this last season and scouts definitely started to feel better about his game, so he could just be a late bloomer. I feel like Morant was a top 3 SP left on the board at this point, but someone like Ron Kramer has a higher ceiling to me.

Grade: B

Roggie

Staff member
Pick 26: Chicago Cubs

SP/LF River Palmer

(Wade Miles Davis is doing a write up for my pick, while I'll just say my thoughts and not grade myself)

Palmer was, IMO, the top bat left in the draft, and decent enough in the outfield to hide in LF and not be harmful. Him being a SP just made his value high enough for me to take him over the best pitcher available, who in my mind was Ron Kramer. Was I thrilled with the pick? No, it's not like last year when a monster 1B fell for no reason, but I was happy with it.

Roggie

Staff member
Pick 27: New Orleans Rivermen (Traded to Pittsburgh)

CF Wes Pujo

Pujo was right on par with Palmer for best bat left in the draft. He should be a solid leadoff hitter in the future who will either be an okay center fielder or a very good corner OF. It's a nice value pick for this spot. Hard to dislike anything about it. He doesn't have power, but not every guy on the team needs to hit 30+ homers. Someone has to get on base, and that's him.

Grade: A-

Roggie

Staff member
Pick 28: Detroit Tigers

SS Zachary Dailey

This pick I think was just a total reach. He doesn't have the range to play shortstop, so he probably moves to 3B (where he will be very good defensively at) or outfield, where he will also be very good defensively. But he's only got average at best power, zero patience, and is a terrible baserunner. This guy should have gone late 2nd, not late 1st. Plenty of better talents left.

Grade: F+

Pick 26: Chicago Cubs

SP/LF River Palmer

Palmer projects as a decent, though unspectacular, left-handed bat and a decent, though unspectacular, left-handed pitcher. If he makes the majors in one of those two roles, he should have a career as an average performer; if he succeeds at developing on both sides of the ball, he could be much more interesting. A well-rounded bat profile (except against LHP) pairs with defense that should be acceptable in left field, and on the mound Palmer looks to chew through innings with groundballs and decent control. Much will depend on if he can learn an out pitch. There wasn't premium talent left at this point in the draft -- Wes Pujo and Robert Snyder offered superior defense and inferior power, while Ron Kramer and Dax Roy have shown increasing promise of late. All have less risk and less potential reward than Palmer. (Incredibly, the Tigers failed to draft any of them.)

Grade: B+

Roggie

Staff member
Round 2:

Great picks: Ron Kramer, KC, Tom Williams, SD, Randy Pierce, BOS, Edward Luna, NSH, Nick Sullivan, LAD, Dan Ramey, NO, Richard Naughton NSH

Bad picks: Clifton Avery, TB, Rich Woods, NYM, Steve Norton, DET

NeuroticTruth

Administrator
Staff member
Pick 27: New Orleans Rivermen (Traded to Pittsburgh)

CF Wes Pujo

Pujo was right on par with Palmer for best bat left in the draft. He should be a solid leadoff hitter in the future who will either be an okay center fielder or a very good corner OF. It's a nice value pick for this spot. Hard to dislike anything about it. He doesn't have power, but not every guy on the team needs to hit 30+ homers. Someone has to get on base, and that's him.

Grade: A-
But its nice when everyone in the lineup can hit 30+ HRs.