Dugout Budgets

HAL9100

As we head into OOTP 18 and our 60th season in the Dugout, it's become very clear that we have gotten to a point where our budgets were significantly broken and something had to be done to fix this. So, I set out to create a new system that would completely replace the in game generated budgets. Here's what I've come up:

While there's a lot that goes into this, it's actually a pretty simple mathematical formula.

First, I wanted to make sure I was using information from inside the game instead of making something completely arbitrary so I started with the Market Size, Fan Loyalty, and Fan Interest information.

I assigned a base line dollar value for each market size with $5M increments between each successive market size. Then Fan Loyalty and Fan Interest are extra factors on top of that. Most teams receive a benefit from these two, but a bad Loyalty and Interest can take money away from you.

Then I wanted to make sure I factored in performance. People had talked about giving bonuses for teams that do well. That's fine and all, but it's not completely fair either. So, I decided to make a system where the performance expectation is relative to every team's Market Size. So the standard for the Yankees is .550 while it's just .425 for the Expos. The Yankees may have a higher base line but they better perform to their expectations or they're going to lose money.

But there are still some simple bonuses that teams should get for their achievements. So, teams will get a $3M bonus for 1 year if they make the playoffs as a Wildcard, a $5M bonus for 2 years if they win their Division, and a $10M bonus for 3 years if they win the World Series. If you win the World Series, you don't get the other bonuses for that year though. Theoretically, if you win back-to-back-to-back World Series(it's never happened in the history of the Dugout), then you would get a $30M bonus to your budget the next year.

Baseball is still a business though and every team wants to make money. So I decided to factor in how much of a profit your team is making over the last 3 years. The more money you save, the more money that gets added to your budget. If you don't save money, you don't get any extra money. And if you somehow lose money, then you will lose money from your budget too. Pretty straight forward.

That's not all though. We've all got an owner to our team that has an expectation and personality of their own. So I used that as well to further tie the budgets into information from the game.

I started with the owner's priority. For our 32 owners, that ranged from Profit, Balanced, Winning, and Extreme Winning. I used this as an extra factor on the Performance and Profit factors for each team. So my owner, for example, has a priority of Profit. The performance of my team doesn't mean as much to him so I only get 50% of the money I would've gotten(or lost) from that. However, I get 150% of what I would've earned(or lost) from the Profit factor.

Then I take all of those numbers and apply it to the owner's Fiscal Personality. A Controlling owner takes 2% off of your budget, an economizer owner keeps it the same, a charitable owner gets you a 2% boost, and a generous owner gives you a 5% boost.

So the formula works out like this:

Budget = (Market Size + Fan Loyalty + Fan Interest + (Performance * Owner Priority) + (Profit * Owner Priority) + Extra Bonuses) * Owner Personality

1. This will add $448M into our league and the majority of that is going to teams currently stuck at $120M budgets right now.

2. Some teams will lose a good chunk of money with this, I'm not just going to screw you guys over if you're in a tough spot, we'll figure something out for the time being.

3. These numbers could change after the playoffs but there shouldn't be any significant changes apart from whomever wins the World Series.

4. I'm pretty happy with this but it is just a starting point. If needed, I may change the factors for this in the future.

UPDATE 3/18/2019

Fan Interest has been replaced by Ticket Revenue.

Last edited by a moderator:

Señor Blanco

This is amazing work, and way superior to the built in programming. Question: Will any of this adjust in any way in season, or just between?

HAL9100

This is amazing work, and way superior to the built in programming. Question: Will any of this adjust in any way in season, or just between?
No, it'll be adjusted during the first sim of the offseason like when we normally find out the new budgets.

Señor Blanco

It would be nice if the game would let you turn off the owners adjusting all the time so you wouldn't have to override all the time.

fluidturbulenceDavid

Super impressive. Nice to see Cincy doing well with the new metrics too. If fan interests changes due to a playoff run or terrible play will this be an issue or is it a once off calculation based on start of the season? I presume the later or else it's too messy. Either way some smart people on board

HAL9100

Super impressive. Nice to see Cincy doing well with the new metrics too. If fan interests changes due to a playoff run or terrible play will this be an issue or is it a once off calculation based on start of the season? I presume the later or else it's too messy. Either way some smart people on board
Just once right at the start of the offseason and that's it for the whole year.